Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

#SouthSudan

Ok so you may be getting tiered of hashtags (I know I am), but when I read about these hashtags I knew that I just had to talk about them. With the constant fighting due to goverment conflict in South Sudan good news was hard to find but I came across this artical talking about how during a devastating time in South Sudan people from all over the world were using social media (and of course hashtags) to lighten the mood. Such hashtags included #ThingsIloveaboutSouthSudan and #MyTribeIsSouthSudan. Following these hashtags were funny pictures, inspirational messages, and such relating to South Sudan. In Juba, Twitter was used to share safe and dangerous spots and sharing evacuation plans. There are even mobile phone charging stations set up around Sudan so people can always read the latest buzz. It’s amazing what one tweet has the power to do. Would you trust a tweet telling you that an evacuation path is safe to go through?

3 comments:

  1. Wow that is really interesting! Who knew such little things such as hashtags and pictures could make some people happy. When i see a hashtag I think of annoying little symbols that people use to often but this is different. I think its cool how a sign and a picture can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that that's Crazy and it's very interesting. I agree its getting annoying. Very annoying. I know that some of them can make me laugh really hard, But normally when i see a hash tag i think its someone just wanting more followers. I think you have a great point. People normally ignore them but what if they found what you did. This really caught my eye! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete