Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Mountain Gorilla...Wow!!

        It may be hard to imagine but there are fewer than 900 of these amazing creatures left on this world and it's all because of humans. The mountain gorilla is one of the two sub species of the eastern gorilla. As of November 2012, the estimated number of these creatures was 880 and that number is dropping for many reasons. One of the reasons is poaching. Snares set for other animals are catching and killing gorillas. Another reason is disease. Common interaction with tourists allows the disease to transmit from the human to the gorillas. War and unrest has disturbed the mountain gorilla population. Refugees are removing trees to create settlements, land mines on forest paths are setting off and killing the gorillas, and the needy are using the meat as food. We need to save the gorilla so they do not become extinct. Would you help to save the gorillas?

2 comments:

  1. I would try to help save the mountain gorilla. I mean they are an endangered species and also the largest living primate in the world. They are so endangered that the only places where mountain gorillas still live are the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, and Rwanda. A huge thing that made them endangered is so much human activity. For example we've had wars there and also we have destroyed their habitats. Also there are so many poachers killing the mountain gorillas just so that they can get money. What do you think people could do to make poachers stop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would help the gorillas and for many reasons. My first reason is that gorillas have been my favorite animal ever since I played Mario games. I really like gorillas because of their size and strength. It amazes me how big animals like gorillas or elephants can go from big in size to little in population in a short amount of time. The thing that drives me kind of crazy is a lot of times animals are killed on accident like people setting traps and accidently getting a gorilla or a landmine blowing up or the poor I mean I get it if I was poor I would probably do the same thing for food. So to answer your question I would help save the gorillas.

    ReplyDelete