Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Great Mosque of Djenne?

The Great Mosque of Djenne is one giant mud castle, at least thats what I thought at first glance!  Then I looked a little harder it turns out that besides being a what a five year thinks he is going to build at the beach it is a pretty neat place.  It was the sight of a Mosque from before even Mr. Hopper was born (it is believed to be between the 12th and 13th century) but how you and I see it now was finished around 1907.  The walls of the Mosque are made out sun dried clay some of the wall’s are over 700 years old!  It is also believed to be the largest building made of sun dried bricks in existence.  So next time you are in Farmantala, Djenne, Mali check out The Great Mosque of Djenne.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I didn't think anything could possibly be older than me!

    ReplyDelete