The Great Mosque of Djenne is one giant mud castle, at least thats what I thought at first glance! Then I looked a little harder it turns out that besides being a what a five year thinks he is going to build at the beach it is a pretty neat place. It was the sight of a Mosque from before even Mr. Hopper was born (it is believed to be between the 12th and 13th century) but how you and I see it now was finished around 1907. The walls of the Mosque are made out sun dried clay some of the wall’s are over 700 years old! It is also believed to be the largest building made of sun dried bricks in existence. So next time you are in Farmantala, Djenne, Mali check out The Great Mosque of Djenne.
Popular Posts
-
There are lots of cool things about the Ancient Greek culture but the thing I found coolest is music. Music played a big role in the Greek l...
-
In the ancient times, they had to hunt and gather for food until the food surpluses. The people had to start farming to provide year-round f...
-
The Kopapang mine , located in South Africa, is the one of the deepest mines in the world. it is found extremely deep underground and is ma...
-
In Thailand every twelve months when there is a new moon they have an incredible Yee Ping festival of lights . The celebration is held al...
-
Some people don't know about Prometheus and how he was punished for being a decedent of the Titans which means he has a child who...
Wow! I didn't think anything could possibly be older than me!
ReplyDelete