Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A Never Ending Nightmare

In the book "Boys Without Names" it talks about a boy named Gopal who ends up working in a sweat shop. I haven't actually gotten that far in the book yet but I can infer from the description of the book and from what has happened so far that this is not going to work out well. Gopal is located in Mumbai; so I did some research on sweatshops there and the numbers don't look too good. It is estimated that nearly 35,000 kids are used for child labor just in Mumbai alone. Those kids are the future of Mumbai and it seems that if things continue like this Mumbai's future will be a bleak one. Those children should be in school not forced to work long days for little or no pay. It is dystopian! In the book, Gopal could have gone to school but he decided to get a job instead to try and help his family. If I was him I would have gone to school because the more I knew, the better chance I would have at getting a better job that would earn more money than a job not requiring education. He did what he thought was right and all I can do is hope that this book has a happy ending. Unfortunately even if the book ends happy, the lives of real children in Mumbai are still a nightmare. What do you think the more fortunate children of the U.S can do to try and help the fight against child labor?

No comments:

Post a Comment