Popular Posts

Friday, December 6, 2013

A Dome Made With Gold To Cover A Rock!


            A dome made with gold just to cover a rock. This may sound a little bit like a waste of money, but that is not the case for Jews, Christians, and Muslims. This dome is called The Dome of the Rock. Personally, I think the name fits its purpose fairly well. The dome covers a rock, which is known as the Foundation Stone. According to some Islamic scholars, the rock is the spot where Prophet Mohammad rose to heaven with the angel Gabriel. The Dome of the Rock is situated in the center of a platform known as the Temple Mount. The domed central plan structure was patterned after the Christian Church of the Holy SepulcherIt is considered the most contested piece of real estate on Earth. I think that this is an amazing piece of architecture. What do you think? 

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it is amazing architecture, but I also think that the thought behind it is also amazing and kind of fascinating. While I may not be Islamic or very religious at all, this is a piece of culture and history! While it's hard to believe any sort of religion (I mean absolutely no offense to anyone reading this who does believe that, I'm just saying I don't believe it) it is hard to believe anything without actually seeing it. Also, I just noticed that I may be thinking too hard about this. Yeah, I think it is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is both really cool and strange that they took gold and covered the rock, making practically a palace from the looks of it. It sounds so cool to visit, mainly for Jews and Muslims, but also Christians! It sounds like a very special spot also, for that was where one man rose to heaven. Do you think it might happen again, maybe at the same spot?

    ReplyDelete