Popular Posts

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Do we really know where our chocolates come from?

Everyone loves chocolate  right I  know I do and if you dont like chocolate this still applies to you because the same thing could be happening with other foods you like.The ivory coast of Africa provides half of the worlds cocoa(chocolate). When you think about that your probably thinking thats awsome right. Well its not as awesome as you think. In the Ivory coast 90% of these plantations use slave labor. That mean that they use slaves to work and make the cocoa most of the time without pay. To make things worse 64% of these people are children under the age of 14. They are forced to work and make this chocolate but the sad thing is that they probably dont know it any other way and I for one would not like to eat something that gives me joy but brings pain to other people around the world. What do you think about the free trade?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE chocolate but I think that its horrible how they have to make it. It is not fair that slaves are forced to make it especially younger kids. Kids and adults should be able to make their own decisions. Although I feel horrible about how its made it would be a very hard to not eat chocolate. Did you know nearly 2000000 kids are illegally trafficked to harvest cocoa?

    ReplyDelete