Popular Posts

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Bzzzkill

Have you ever had that annoying itch when a mosquito bites you at a bonfire? Well, we have it nice compared to the people of Africa. There is a disease that is very hard to prevent. Malaria is a mosquito-borne infectious disease of humans and animals. Malaria usually causes symptoms such as fever or headache, and in severe cases coma or death. Now, you make think that it is easy to prevent malaria if you just put on bug spray, but I think we all know that you can still get bit by a mosquito no matter how much spray you apply. By the way, tell me when you find a spray that will keep you 100% bite free for the entire time you sleep. There have been efforts made though to stop this disease. There is a foundation that donates thin wove netting that mosquitoes can fly through called Nothing but Nets. This organization has already donated over 7,000,000 nets to South Sudan and other places in Africa. Finally, would you donate a net to save a life?

3 comments:

  1. To answer your question James I would donate a net to save a live. I did some research of my own and found three websites that said that malaria kills a person every 30 seconds. One of them was Mr. Hopper's hyperlink. There are so many diseases out in the world today it's so hard to even keep track of them all. I wonder what it was like for the pioneers and explorers back when there was no cure. I guess I could find out if I went to Africa because most people don't have a cure for this disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would gladly donate a net if it meant saving a life. That's totally worth it. When I was like ten my dad told me about malaria and I was so scared about getting by a mosquito and dying until he told me it mostly happens in other countries. I never really thought about it after that but now I really want to help out and donate something. Did you now that almost 90% of malaria caused deaths occur in Africa. That's scary and it kind of makes me glad that so many people are trying to find a cure. I hope they can find one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would donate to save someone’s life. Because even though you don’t know who it’s they mean something to someone and I don’t think you would like to see someone die. One net is one dollar and cures malaria for a child for three days. The mosquitoes nets are long lasting insecticide treated bed nets. Prevents malaria by creating a protective barrier against mosquitoes at night. When transition occurs and can fit two people in one net.

    ReplyDelete