Popular Posts
-
Recently, I was reading Logan F.'s post on the anti-hunting drones in Africa. I feel that it is just about time that something was don...
-
The term archaic Greece refers to the time three centuries before the classical relative between 800 b.c and 500 b.c a relatively sophist...
-
I read Jon Aronin's post about the Kopanang Mine and I realized how dangerous it must be to work down in that mine. Its 2,600 feet belo...
-
I have always been interested in Greek Gods but they’re not the nicest people. Like the Greek God Hephaestus when he was born, Hera, his mot...
-
I find it really interesting that the Sumerians wrote so much and thought that writing was so important to them. They wrote everything dow...
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Team Africa wins! They got Nothing But Net...
Nothing But Nets, at first I thought it was a program to send basketball nets to Africa due to the problems with not having many basketball nets in Africa, as it turns out that isn't actually a problem. The real issue is malaria, which kills a person every 30 seconds. Nothing But Nets helps send nets to Africa.You may be thinking "why does Africa need nets, do they want to play basketball?" No they don't want to play basketball, these nets actually cover people's beds in Africa so mosquitoes cant bite them and transfer Malaria. As a matter of fact, these nets cost only ten dollars and save a life, its a win win situation, you spend a small amount of money and a child doesn't die. The real problem though is the mosquitoes which transfer the disease, but you're probably thinking "Mosquitoes aren't that bad, they're just annoying." Well these aren't your normal run of the mill American mosquitoes. These mosquitoes are like those from a cheesy '90s horror movie called attack of the killer bugs, just these real ones are smaller and carry diseases. I got very off topic, pretty much Nothing but Nets sends a net that saves a life for ten dollars. By way of example, here is a picture of how happy it makes people when they receive a net and don't have to fear mosquitoes.What do you think about Nothing But Nets, do you think we should take other precautions against malaria, such as giving every one lots of bug repellant?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Answering your question I feel like the nets are better than just a bug spray that doesn’t even work half of the time. I still think It’s so crazy to think that every 30 seconds a child dies from just a misquote bit! I wonder who came up with the idea of donating just 10 bucks to not let a person get bit and save there life. Even though Africa doesn't have a basketball team I still think this story was really cool!
ReplyDeleteEthan, nice job with the clever factor. You are a good writer and will only get better over time!
ReplyDelete