Popular Posts
-
There are lots of cool things about the Ancient Greek culture but the thing I found coolest is music. Music played a big role in the Greek l...
-
When I read Alex’s post about drones patrolling this place called Ol Pejeta Conservancy which holds many different types of animals like ...
-
I've always thought that ancient cultures and history have been fascinating. After all, I prefer them over geography for social studies....
-
Ancient Greece began in 1000 B.C during the bronze age ( a period between the Stone and Iron Ages, characterized by the manufacture and...
-
In the ancient times, they had to hunt and gather for food until the food surpluses. The people had to start farming to provide year-round f...
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
My Precious
Kopanang mine is a mine located in South Africa and its main resource is gold. Kopanang mine is located deep under ground (unlike open pit mining) where a very rich ore vain is found. Kopanang mine is so deep under ground that it's over 140 degrees! It is so hot at the bottom of the mine that allot of money is put into a cooling system so that the workers aren't bothered by it as much. After the gold ore is mined it is sent to a factory so it can be refined into its "purest" form which takes many steps to do but when it is finished it is 99.9% pure gold. Do you think mining for gold is cool and if it would pay off?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
With gold at rising prices, I'm sure all this mining pays off. At the current time it is 1304.80 USD per oz. of gold. AngloGold Ashanti, the company in charge of the mine, has it's profits surging to 1.3 billion USD, a record high. With these gold prices mining, gold mining will just keep growing.
ReplyDelete