Popular Posts

Monday, February 3, 2014

Mountain Gorillas

The Mountain Gorillas live in Africa and there are only around 800 of them left.  Mountain Gorillas are facing extinction because people hunt and kill them.  Male mountain gorillas weigh up to 600 pounds and females weigh up to 300 pounds. There height averages beetween four and six feet.  They live up to 35 to 40 years. The gorillas do not eat meat, however they eat insects and plants. These gorillas are quite friendly and are amazing animals! Mountain Gorillas usually travel in packs and with the populations decreasing, conservation efforts are in place to protect the mountain gorillas and increase there population.  Do you think its fair that man is free to hunt this nearly extinct species?  Knowing this, would you kill this animal?

2 comments:

  1. I thought there were only about 700 mountain gorillas. I did not know that female gorillas and male gorillas had different weights or that mountain gorillas had different heights but I did know that they are almost extinct and that mountain gorillas did not eat meat because I watched the video from the link of Mr. Hoppers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that it is very fair that hunters are killing a living creature. Especially when the animal is almost extinct. When I read this article I was actually really surprised that the Female gorillas weighted almost 300 pounds less than the males. I thought that the Male and the Female gorillas weighted about the same.
    Here is a website I found that told me more about the mountain gorillas.... http://www.wcs.org/saving-wildlife/great-apes/mountain-gorilla.aspx

    ReplyDelete