Popular Posts
-
Well, in the ancient world, there are a couple of civilizations, Chinese, Phoenicians, Israelites, Egyptians, and many others. Have you hear...
-
I really enjoy Social Studies, but to be more specific I love Ancient History! I think one of the most interesting times in Ancient Hist...
-
Yes, it's true. I was looking at Hallie S.'s blog , and decided to look into the subject a little more. Malaria is a problem. CDC(Ce...
-
I HATE History, it is very and I mean very boring. If I bothered trying to understand the things I learned in my social study class ...
-
I think that the guy that threw the banana at Dani Alves should be in prison. Racism is a serious thing and whoever threw the banana shou...
Monday, February 10, 2014
T-Try-Trypano-Trypanosomiaaaaaaaaa... Whatever, SLEEPING SICKNESS!!!
African trypanosomiasis, or sleeping sickness, is a parasitic disease that is spread by the tsetse fly. It has been estimated from a recent study that the total African population at risk of being contracted with sleeping sickness is 69.3 million. Some symptoms of it are fever, headaches, joint pains, and itching. However, these are all only parts of the first phase. The second phase of symptoms mainly includes disruption of the human sleep cycle. Finally, the disease gets in your head, which results in daytime sleep episodes and nighttime wakefulness, psychotic reactions, aggressive behavior, and lastly irreversible damages caused in the neurological phase. Like AIDS, it is not contagious and only contractible through blood transmissions and sexual activities...or from that nasty tsetse dude. If you were to contract sleeping sickness, what would you do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, what I would do if I had it was go to the nearest doctor and get medication to it. But, did you know that it can swell your kidney, have kidney failure, cardiac arrest, and anemia can happen if untreated. Well, at least this disease is a parasite, so antibiotics and some medication can be used to kill the parasite, and parasites take longer to reproduce than viruses and bacteria. So, if the UNICEF or the U.N gives out vaccines and pills, it will be all right.
ReplyDeleteIf I got sleeping sickness I would go to a doctor and ask for medication before the second stage begins. The tsetse fly lives in the Sahara desert and the Kalahari desert. The scientific name for the tsetse fly is Glossina palpalis. Do you think if the tsetse fly migrates to the US, many people will die?
ReplyDeleteBonus points awarded for being clever...title, link...you get this!
ReplyDelete