Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Greek's and there Strange Food Superstitions

The Greek were an old and very powerful race that had many of the same ideals for example democracy's, languages, the Olympics, Etc. but would you believe that they some Greeks were afraid to eat beans because they thought that they had souls in them or that they never ate the last piece of cake because it was considered bad luck?  Many of these strange superstitions we still do today for example ever wonder why it was considered bad luck to spit out Salt? This one actually makes some sense because back in the day salt was a very valuable commodity and to spit it was just rude it was down right stupid.  This raises some very interesting questions if  traditions from Greece and other countries did not ever reach america then how would america be different today?  

1 comment:

  1. That's super funny to us that they won't eat beans because they had souls in them but its part of their culture so it seems normal to them. Now cake, they say the last piece of cake is bad luck but I wouldn't care because I'll eat anything and cake if it's "bad luck" I wouldn't care cause to me cake is cake. I have never heard that it is bad luck to spit out salt. To answer your question, I think America would be different if food options didn't reach us because I like variety so one night I'll have sushi and another I'll have Chinese another so we wouldn't have the different cultures of food.

    ReplyDelete