Popular Posts

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Ancient Greek Food, Is It On Your Shopping List?

The traditions of Greek foods today was started long ago.  Ancient Greeks were surrounded by water, so they ate a large variety of seafood.  Some of the seafood they ate was different kinds of fish, octopus, squid, and shellfish.  These foods were the only kind of meat they ate on a regular basis.  They ate other meats only on special occasions such as religious festivals. 

The main foods the Greeks ate were olives, bread, and wine.  They did not have food from America because it was not yet discovered by them yet.  Crusty bread rolls, goat cheese, and olives were the mainstay for meals.  These foods were the start of the wonderful Greece cuisine that we know of today.  Do you like Greek food?    

           

 

4 comments:

  1. Seafood isn’t my favorite type of food and I could never eat JUST seafood, but that is cool that the Greeks caught that much fish. Of course they did, they were surrounded by water! I read that fresh fish was one of the most popular meals in Greece. What types of meat did they eat on special occasions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Greek food! Whenever I see it on the menu you can bet I know what to order. I have tried many foods but the tangy and rich flavors of Greek food are still my favorite. Spinach pies and cheese cooked in wine, (if you haven't guesses yet I LOVE GREEK FOOD)!!!!!!!!! I have always wondered though how they used to make these dishes that we call Greek today, did they do something different? Were there different ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seafood!! Seafood is one of my favorite kinds of food, although, it would get boring to eat it all the time. I like Greek food, but I'm not a big fan of olives. I think it would be pretty cool to live by the water! You could try a variety of food, and I think a body of water is a pretty sight. Would you like to eat Greek food all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely HATE seafood. I've never actually tried it but everything about it is disgusting, the look, the smell, and what I imagine the taste. Since they've grown up eating seafood so I think eating it wouldn't be a problem because you'd get used to the taste. Living around fish would be nice but eating it wouldn't. That's why i hate meat sometimes, because you're eating something that used to be living and it might have had a family, who knows. Other than that i love Greek food, they have unique tastes to their flavorful foods, but my favorite is the desert. How do you feel about eating foods like the Greeks did?

    ReplyDelete