Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Ancient Cultures: Greek, Greek And More Greek!

Greek architecture is a subject that has caught my interest for a long time. Their elegant pillars with intricate designs sculpted in always fascinate me. They have three distinct styles for these such pillars. Doric is a very sturdy, not very decorative style that was used in mainland Greece and greek colonies in Italy. Next is ionic. It is a somewhat sturdy but somewhat decorative pillar that was more used in Eastern Greece. Finally, there is Corinthian. It is a very decorative style pillar with patterns of acanthus leaves carved in. It started it out in Greece, but was later seldom used there and became more popular in Roman temples. If you were a Greek architect, what kind of pillar would you use?

2 comments:

  1. I think I would use Corinthian. Its easy to design, and would stand out in the boring part of things. Sounds like the Greeks had a really good taste in design. I know a few people would love to live then. Not going to list any names, but a few are in our science class Noel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could choose the type of pillar in ancient Greece, I think that I would use ionic. It is an equal mix between sturdy and decorative. It would look nice while doing its purpose. I would feel uneasy about Corinthian because it isn't very sturdy, it is more decorative. Would you feel comfortable with Corinthian?

    ReplyDelete