Popular Posts
-
So I was looking at posts and Travis A's post caught my eye and I couldn't help myself to write about it. Three years ago a women ...
-
When I first heard that people were killing elephant s over their tusk I thought it was wrong. All I could think is "why do they hav...
-
Recently, I was reading Logan F.'s post on the anti-hunting drones in Africa. I feel that it is just about time that something was don...
-
I read Jon Aronin's post about the Kopanang Mine and I realized how dangerous it must be to work down in that mine. Its 2,600 feet belo...
-
Animal poaching is a big problem in Africa and it has been a long hard road to figure out what to do. Many people think they have found the ...
Monday, October 14, 2013
The Time of the Phoenicians
Phoenicians are a remarkable culture. Their name comes from the Greek
word Phoenix and the purple and red color. So this refers to the purple dye of the Phoenicians, as stated here, http://www.ancient.eu.com/phoenicia/. Furthermore their remarkable success originated with their
access to some very important resources. Their access to purple dye made them
rich, and their access to the sea let their trade increase. Phoenicians also
invented the alphabet, which has had a lasting effect on our languages today. Examples
that can be seen are the languages of, Spanish, French, Latin, and English.
Although the alphabet of the Phoenicians and today's language are very
different, one can argue that they are very much the same, as seen here. http://www.omniglot.com/writing/phoenician.htm. Without the Phoenicians the modern world may be entirely different,
from it’s current state. But without the Phoenicians what would the world be like?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I never knew that the Phoenician's culture is the base of many of the important things we learn today. I think it was very lucky that the Phoenicians had decided to settle in a location that would make them very successful. I wonder if any other civilization was as successful as this one.
ReplyDelete