Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sweat Shop? I THINK NOT!


I am reading the book Boys Without Names, which is a fiction book (based off true stories) about a 11 year old boy, Gopal, who is forced to move out of his home in India, and forced to move to Mumbai, a huge city in India because his family could'nt find jobs at his old home. Gopal's family is forced to live on the streets because his father didn't have a job and they didn't have enough money to find a place to stay. Gopal ends up getting tricked by an innocent looking teenager into getting sold to a sweatshop, where his boss, Scar(he named him) forcefully worked, slapped, and beat him and 5 other boys.
Sadly, sweatshops like that are still being found all over the world:(
If I was in Gopal's shoes, I don't think I would have been able to do it! Especially since now today, we have all these luxurious things like TVs, iPhones, and a LOT more, having nothing would be really hard. Having nothing like that and living on the streets with no money? I just don't think that I could live like that,especially working in a sweatshop! Would you be able to live like that?

2 comments:

  1. I read Boys Without Names as well, and really sympathize with Gopal. His character is very easy to like and is very wise in the situation he's been set in. He uses a lot of the lessons he's learned through his family and applies them in a real situation to his surroundings to survive. If I were in his shoes, I DEFINITELY wouldn't last long; I can't keep my mouth shut long enough to stay obedient for long! Not-so-Fun Fact: Gopal is just one of nearly 35,000 children who are taken into child labor sites in just Mumbai alone. If he was one of your siblings, how would you handle him disappearing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been raised with enough food. I have been raised to have clothes and water when I need it. I think suddenly switching to being homeless, on the streets and when you finally are taken in, you're sent out again, now in a sweatshop. I wouldn't last long to be sure. The mosquito bites and the poor excuse for a bed. I would be too stubborn and disobedient. I couldn't handle it if someone close had to go through this. Unfortunately, hundreds of thousands of children are taken into labor in just India, and millions around the world. The luxuries taken away, gravely food, scratchy cots. How could I handle something as sudden as this?

    ReplyDelete