Popular Posts

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Facing The Lion (And Rural Poverty)

In the past 35 years, Joseph's homeland, Kenya, has tripled in population. With this increase came a higher demand for money and resources. Due to floods and droughts this country's agricultural industry suffered a severe fall. From 2010 to 2011 a great drought occurred that could have affected the nomads that rely on grass to feed their cows. If I had been Joseph and experienced the things he did growing up I may not have ever become a man. Joseph walked countless miles daily, sometimes without shoes, was circumcised in front of the whole town, and almost came face to face with a lion. Would you be able to do these things?

2 comments:

  1. I have not read this book, but it seems really interesting. I did some research on this book's setting in the current day, and yes they are still struggling. Although they still are struggling, their tourism, telecommunications, transport, construction, and a recovery in agriculture. The aftermath of those good changes has resulted in a 5% growth in GDP (growth expected). Even with those additions, the economy is still fairly poor. I really want to try to read this book, and I hope the economy gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in your lit group and what Joseph is doing is crazy. Walking tons of miles a day, I can barely run the mile in gym. Also, I think it's sort of bad that the population had tripled because now there's gonna be more poverty in Kenya. There might also be alot more death because there might not be enough food to feed everyone. What else do you think might happen if the population goes up.

    ReplyDelete