Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

What Has Changed

In the book, A Long Walk to Water, one of the main characters is Salva, an 11 year old boy how has had to run away from his tribe and family during the Sudan Civil War in
1985. Salva walked thousands of miles with a group of many other people that he had never met before to a refugee camp in Ethiopia. The First Sudanese Civil War started in 1955 and ended in 1972, many people thought this would be the end of the fighting, but they we clearly wrong. In 1983, the second Sudanese Civil War started, this war was among the Sudanese government and the Sudan People's Liberation Army. This second civil war is believed to be a continuation of the first one. These wars lasted 21 years, killing over two million people and displacing about four million. In 1996, Salva was one of the 3,800 Lost Boys to be resettled in the Untied States. If I were in Salva Dut during this period in his life, I would have never been able to do any of the amazing things that he did. Salva is a very strong-willed man and it took a lot of hope and courage to overcome the obstacles that he faced. I do not think I could have ever survived the long walks and the feeling of not knowing what was going to happen.Do you think that you would have the courage to walk thousands of miles without your family and friends there along side you the whole way?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I do not think I could ever do that. I agree that Salva has amazing courage and if I where in his position I would have been killed or hurt badly. I can't even imagine what Salva has been through. I don't know anybody that could have done what Salva accomplished. I don't know even anybody that could go half the distance that Salva went. Salva had to go through war, even some of his family members were killed. I cannot believe what he would have gone through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I could walk that far with not knowing what could happen. It must be terrifying not knowing what is going on in your life at home or what might happen to you. I agree that Salva is extremely courageous to lead all of those children to a refugee camp. However, did u know he is still working in South Sudan at a non-profit organization to bring water. Salva Dut is a hero and everyone should know it.

    ReplyDelete