Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Refugees In Zimbabwe

In the book “Now Is the Time for Running” the main character, Deo, and his brother are refugees after the government kills their family.  Not a ton of things have been done to change Zimbabwe’s issues.  They’re still a lot of refugees there today.  Like in the book, a lot of people have fled to South Africa looking for a new home and safety.  Lots of people have had their refugee status denied and are in South Africa illegally.  In the book, Deo and his brother make the very tough journey to South Africa.  It is such a struggle to get there though and they have to go through so much.  It is the same for people today because nothing much has changed.  If I were in Deo’s position I would most likely do the same thing he did.  Although the journey is very difficult, I guess it would be worth it to feel safe.  How do you feel about making the tough journey to South Africa?

2 comments:

  1. I think making the tough journey to South Africa would be worth the risk. Sure you may go through a lot of things but once you get there, being safe would feel so much better. If I had to bring a younger sibling I would be very paranoid though. I would want to make things easier for my sibling instead of me. remember saftey first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes it aspecially hard that Deo's brother is actually older than him but he has a mental illness.

    ReplyDelete