Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sweatshops Suck and Should be Stopped!

In the book I'm reading, Boys Without Names, a young boy named Gopal and his family have to move to Mumbai because they couldn't pay their debt. They moved from their small village to Mumbai, the most-populated city in India. Since his family had almost no money, Gopal took a job from a teenager he met on the streets, thinking it was in a factory. He had actually been sold to a sweatshop, where he had a cruel boss nicknamed Scar, and was forced to work long hours and could not leave. There are still many sweatshops today, all around the world, but many people are against them, and people help support the anti-sweatshop movement. I think that it would be extremely hard to do what Gopal did, since a lot of people these days are used to the modern day luxuries and not having to do any work to get what they need. I think I wouldn't have done very well in that situation because I have never done anything like that before. Do you think you could make a living like that?

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, no. I don't think I could live like that. I am also reading that book, (it's really good) and sounds so hard to live on the streets and to not be able to have all the crazy technology that makes our lives so much easier! I have actually been to India; to the small villages, like Gopal's, and to the huge cities, like Mumbai. And yes, it's true! There are people who are forced to live on the streets and have to work their butts off to even live! Did you know that 35% of India's population is homeless?! I think that the cruel people who run sweatshops should be punished in any way possible! Do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading boys without names also and I don't think I could make a living like that, to be honest. I mean living like that, just plucked of the streets and forced to work in sweatshops with horrible conditions. To find out more about this I read an article and it said that there are places where children as young as 10 work in sweatshops where they are treated as slaves. They are threatened with beatings and days without food. The children usefully make textile(clothes) but in some cases like Boys without names and Iqbal they make carpets, frames, and other types of goods. In an estimate more than 20 percent of India economy is under the age of 14. So there are about 55 million children out there and they are just getting taken away from their families. If you could help these kids how would you help?

    ReplyDelete