Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Road To Equality That Leads To Nowhere

In my book, A Long Walk To Water, most of the book takes place in Sudan in 1985 where there is civil conflict between the North and South sides. Also, there is a mini-war between two Sundanese tribes the Nuer and the Dinka. Within the last 100 years, there have been a grand total of three civil wars between the Northern and Southern sides. THREE  of them. Anyways, the main character Salva (which may I add is the name of the S. Sudan president) is separated from his family during a battle and he joins a group of refugees headed towards Ethiopia, safe from the fighting. A few days of walking later, Salva meets a boy named Marial (he shares his name with the real life general of S. Sudan) who is shortly after killed by a lion. Happy times. Salva finds his uncle in the group and he begins to take care of him. When they reach the Akobo desert, Salva's group is robbed and his uncle is killed. Once again, happy times. Soon after, they reach the refugee camp where they currently reside. If I were Salva, I would have gone insane after witnessing the death of a friend the death of a family member and the separation of my family. Would you?

2 comments:

  1. I probably would have not gone insane, but, as I said in my post, I would have a mental breakdown. I would have just quit to do anything because every killing gets closer to home. First a friend, then a family member. For all you know it could be you next! I looked in to the Salva president Marial general thing and Salva Kiir, president of South Sudan, is just a complete coincidence. The book says that Salva is a child in the second Sudanese war in 1985. This Salva was born in the year 1950, so by 1985 he would be 35 years old not a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not currently reading this book. I would not have gone insane but it definitely would have affected me. Having your friend and family member killed would not have been fun, especially after having been separated from all the people you know and love. If I was him after I went through that I would probably get really mad and try to kill lions in that area and kill the people who stole and killed his uncle. Would you?

    ReplyDelete