Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

There are still boys without names

I am reading Boys without Names which is a book about a boy in Mumbai India that has to get a job in a sweatshop to support his family. To learn more about this topic I looked up "sweatshops in Mumbai" and sadly there are still sweatshops in the area plus I learn that there are sweatshops in America too. We learn about all this bad stuff that is happening in all these other countries but we don't notice that the same thing is happening in ours. I read an article from The Nation.com and it said that kids ages ages 12 and up are allowed to work at Tobacco Farms doing any number of odd jobs. I'm harvesting to planting to packaging they are used for all sorts of labor. Recently in an act to stop child labor in sweatshops the Fair Labor Association & The Workers Rights Consortium are spreading arpund the world to help raise awareness about these horrible conditions in sweatshops and child labor. they're talking to schools other organizations and press conferences in order to get out the word and help these people. We can all help and we should. What would you do to help?

2 comments:

  1. It's sad what we do to get clothing. I never even knew what sweatshops were until now! I feel like my heart cracks a little when I think about how some of my clothes that I love were made by these people, forced, 12 hours a day! I remember reading an article in L.A. class about child labor. They said long ago children would have dangerous jobs and people liked to hire them because of their nimble fingers, and they most of the time hurt themselves. Well, this was not "long ago" it's STILL going on today! I think it's wrong! I couldn't really do anything to help...there is so many sweatshops in the world. Maybe I could start a charity to those who work in sweatshops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really terrible that there are still sweat shops in the world. I'm amazed that they're also in America and I agree that it terrible that we don't notice the problems in our own country as much. I mean we're 12 so we could be working in a sweat shop, which i could never imagine doing. That would be terrible. I'm not reading that book but I asked my friends about it and the conditions that those boys have to go through is terrible. In America there was a sweatshop found where girls had to work for 13 in a half hours per day and couldn't get an education so they couldn't leave. This was several years ago but not long enough to have the matter disappear. It's really sad that people would go through so much trouble just for clothing and other things that could be done without sweatshops. I left a URL for a web sight that you can donate money on. (to help a lot of problems. not just sweat shops.)I really hope that someone uses it to help all the people trapped in sweatshops.

    https://www.dosomething.org/about/who-we-are

    ReplyDelete