Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Time to Run!

Many things have changed since Deo was in the area of Johannesburg. The area has become more tolerant of the refugees coming in from the different countries. During Deo's time, which was around 2009, the people were so intolerant of the refugees thinking that they were taking work away from them. They went and killed many shop keepers and bystanders because they weren't South Africans. That is the clearest definition of RACIST. To keep that from happening they started employing refugees differently than other South Africans, and to be employed refugees have to have permits that allow them to live and work in the country. Things in South Africa are starting to cool down slightly because there are less people going to South Africa as a refuge. If I was faced with the challenges Deo has gone through so far I would definitely be terrified and wouldn't be able to be strong. If I was faced with going through a big enclosed area filled with wild animals I would be frozen in place, actually I don't know what I would do, since I have never been in a situation even closely related to that. If I ever get caught in something like that I would have definitely not been to survive as well as he was able to. If you were faced with a situation of either getting killed by a group of people or running across an enclosed space filled with wild animals which one would you choose?

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, I'm not sure what I'd do either. The first choice guarantees immediate death, but the second one is more like slow and barely tolerable torture. (I would be sick to my stomach, suffering heatstroke, tired out of my mind, and wouldn't be able to think straight.) Of course, even if I made it across the border, I'd still have to deal with the constant xenophobic attacks South Africa was undergoing at the time the book was written (I'm reading "Now is the Time For Running" too). It turns out that in May 2008 (when the attacks in the book were occurring) alone, over 60 were killed, over 100 wounded, and tens of thousands of people displaced from their homes (due to mass burnings). Basically, I'm not sure if a quick death sounds so bad compared to running for 2 hours straight, and dealing with a bunch of South Africans that hated me and wanted to kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure which I would choose. The first one does guarantee death so I would most likely choose the one with a chance of survival. That would all be a challenge considering you have to cross the border before you can do either of those things. What I think would be one of the hardest thing to deal with would be hunger. There is so little food when you are on the run. There are many groups that are helping with these problems. One large one is Save the Children. It is helping children and adults who are suffering with hunger. Hopefully these programs will help to resolve problems in Zimbabwe.

    ReplyDelete