Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A Search for Water

In my book A Long Walk to Water the main character Salva is forced to run away from home when the civil war reaches his village.He joins several groups of people ion search of a refugee camp that's in Ethiopia. Six years after he reaches the refugee camp he gets kick out of the camp and is forced to keep on walking until he gets to safety. Some problems that are happening in that area isn't just the war but also water. Lots of water there is dirty and can make you sick. Not only that but they have to walk hours just to get a little bit of water. Some people have started a project to drill wells in villages so that they don't have to walk so far to get water and so that the water they get won't be poisoned. If I was in Salvas place all I could have done was run away. After that I'd be useless and would probably die. I couldn't have helped with anything at all. Do you think that you could have survived what Salva had to go through?

1 comment:

  1. Hearing about things like this just make me pause and realize just how lucky I am. I may not be rich and famous, but I am safe, I have my family, and I have clean water and warm meals. It is astounding to me the things these people have to go through just to get water. I mean all we have to do is walk three feet to a sink and turn a handle, whereas someone in Sudan may have to walk three miles. I am not reading A Long Walk to Water, but from your description it is obvious that Salva has it rough. If I was forced to go through what he had to, I would die. Since the start of the war which was in 1983, an estimated 2 million people have died. There are around 3,000 people in Ingham County; multiply that number by 666 (I don't know why the devil's number works in this example, I guess you could say strange coincidence...) and you get around the estimated number of people who have died because of the war. I would not be as brave as Salva was, with no food, miles to water, and constant walking, I would be vulture food within a few days.

    ReplyDelete