Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Man Vs Lion

In my book Facing The Lion A young boy named Joseph Lekuton has to deal with both school and being a Northern Kenyan cattle herder. Kenya deals with a lot of poverty and about 47 percent of the rural population is under the poverty line. Kenya experienced an economic growth in the past couple of years but they are still a very poor country. In Kenya one child from each family must go to school and if they don't they are breaking the law. Many kids are forced to go to school even if their parents don't want them to go they still have to. How would you feel if you had to live like one of these kids.

3 comments:

  1. If I was a kid in Kenya, I would have mixed feeling about being forced to go to school. I'd be grateful that I could go to school, since only on child in a family gets to go, but I'd also be very angry because most families probably can't afford to send their children to school. It must also be very tiring for the kids to deal with school and being a cattle herder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m also reading Facing the Lion, If I was a young Kenyan I would be very excited to go to school because not everyone has the chance to learn how to read or write in their lifetime. I would be sad though because I would have to leave my nomadic culture behind and go begin my life again. I found that sometimes they kept poachers away by putting their largest bulls on the outside of the herd to scare them off. What do you think Lemasolai will do to regain his pride later in the book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be very hard to live in these very poor conditions. I can’t even imagine wondering if I will get a next meal or even thinking about not having a place to sleep. Those are just thought that I am privileged not to have, and reading these books really makes you think about what you have not what you don’t have. I am reading Now Is a Time for Running, and Deo (the main character) and his brother are orphans with almost no money and no food. I’m getting a sense that there are many African children who live in poverty and struggle with finding food and shelter every day. In 2008 47% of Africans in the sub-Saharan region lived on $1.25 or less everyday- that wouldn't even buy a school lunch. Do think that more and more aid agencies are coming to help and that Africa as a whole is improving.

    ReplyDelete