Popular Posts

Thursday, May 1, 2014

A banana?

I was reading Mr. hoppers post and I watched the video about the fan that showed his true colors by throwing a banana at Barcelona’s Dani Alves during a soccer match. To be honest at first I didn't understand why it was racist to throw a banana in his way so I asked my dad and he told me that it was because some people refer to people who they would consider black as monkeys or beasts. I think it's cruel of them to say that because a person with darker skin is no more a beast than a person with lighter skin. After sunday's game Alves told the reporters “I have been in Spain 11 years and it has been the same for 11 years,You have to laugh at these backward people… We are not going to change it, so you have to take it almost as a joke and laugh at them" and I think that he is right we should laugh. How do you feel about racism?

1 comment:

  1. ​ When I first watched the video from Mr. Hopper's link, I didn't understand why throwing a banana on the field was racist either. Once I got it though, I was disgusted. While feeling that way, I still wasn't sure what a fit punishment would be. When you said we should just laugh, I realized I'd never thought about it that way. Those people are saying and doing hurtful, but not necessarily illegal things, so there isn't a whole lot we can do. I guess if we all just understand that those people are being horrible, and laugh at their stupidity, it would be a lot easier to handle, like you said. Alves can handle racism, and laugh it off, so I felt happier with the outcome of the situation. Then I learned that the man who threw the banana, David Campayo Lleo, 26, was arrested, and I was even happier. Anyway, I just think you have a great view on racism.

    ReplyDelete