Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Does Bangladesh have the cuisine you want?

The country I have chosen  for this blog post is Bangladesh. I want to write about Bangladesh, because of their bizarre cuisine. One dish from Bangladesh that I thought was very bizarre was the achaar pickle. The Achaar pickle is made of the most common South Asian fruits and vegetables from mango and lime. Other include cauliflowercarrotradish, palm heart, onion, tomato, and many others.  Another food that I found bizarre in Bangladesh was shorshe llish llish is a tropical fish and in Bangladesh they put it together with lots of mustard, it is also a traditional dish cooked by the natives of Bangladesh in the 1800's. Do you think you will ever want to try foods like these you should think about it? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hilsa_with_Mustard,_Bury_St_Edmunds,_4_Feb,_2013.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I probably would never try many foods from India. Especially not Shoshe llish llish, mostly because of the mustard. I hate mustard and whenever I have it I get sick to my stomach. I have really bad experiences with mustard, my grandfather would babysit me when I was little and he would put tons of mustard on my sandwiches(no, not a metric ton because that would be 2,000 pounds) So pretty much I just dislike mustard. Although the Achaar pickle does seem good, so long as it doesn't have mustard, or dead cat carcasses, because that would be... unsettling. Anyways would you want to try foods from South Asia, or maybe other foreign cuisine such as .... cat carcasses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think it would be very interesting to try some of the foods in Bangladesh, because the foods they eat are not something that you would eat here on an everyday basis. Shorshe Ilish however does not seem very appetizing to me. I am not a big fan of fish and this recipe calls for fish as the main ingredient. It sounds like Shorshe Ilish is a difficult dish to make, so many people from Bangladesh make this dish for special occasions only. I am also not a big fan of mustard, and I can't imagine eating fish with mustard! It sounds like it would be a very salty dish. Just out of curiosity, does eating fish with mustard sound appetizing to you?

    ReplyDelete