Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Carrom? What's that?

There is a very popular board name in the Southern Asia country of Nepal, it is called Carrom. Although popular, the rules structure is not very strict. There are a lot of variations but the whole plot of the game is to get nine of your opponent's pieces into your pocket; along with their queen. Even though the game is most popular in Nepal, this game is played all over South Asia. It is played in Southern Asia places such as India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. In fact, it was founded in 1988 in the city of Chennai, India! A little more about the game is that it contains 20 pieces (including the striker) and that there is a red piece called the queen. In case you were wondering, a striker is the piece that the players of the game use to hit the other pieces off into the corners of the board. (You have to have the striker because then you can't play the game if you don't have it) I have found this game very different from anything I've seen before and I hope you all will search up more about it. If you would like to know how to play it click Carrom. 



Would you be interested in learning more information on this game?

2 comments:

  1. I got a carom board for Christmas! It is really a lot of fun. Maybe I'll bring it in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Cynthia, I also did my post about the fun things to do in India. I only mentioned the game along with other fun games and outside activities that a child can do. While I was looking for more information about Carrom I found that it is a lot like the very popular American Game Pool. I also found that it has many different names such as Titom, Bob Spil, or Pinnochi. But most of all I find it very interesting that no one knows where the game originated from.

    ReplyDelete