Popular Posts

Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Beauty In Lights!!!

        After reading Noor's post  about Diwali, India's festival of lights, I was amazed. I  found out that during the celebration, you may see people in front of their doorway pouring colored sand on the ground. In a shape of a lotus flower to symbolize, welcome. Not only is the festival about bright colors it's about giving. You will see neighbors going door to door and handing out delicious treats also. Another interesting fact I found was that the festival does not last for one day, it last for four! Would you like to go?        
                                                                                                                                       
Houses in Calcutta are festooned with electric lightsSky lanterns are released in Calcutta to celebrate Diwali                                                                                     

A girl lights candles on a cricket ground in the northern Indian city of Allahabad


An Indian Sikh devotee lights oil lamps at the Golden Temple in Amritsar. Sikhs celebrate Bandi Chhor Divas or Diwali to mark the return of the Sixth Guru, Guru Hargobind Ji, who was freed from imprisonment and also managed to release 52 political prisoners at the same time from Gwalior fort by Mughal Emperor Jahangir in 1619.Pakistani Hindu children wave sparklers in Karachi

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this seems beautiful and amazing! We sang a song in choir about the festival of lights. I also read on this celebration day, they light fireworks, have family gatherings and Lakshmi, a Hindu Goddess of wealth. The lamps remind me of the scene in Tangled an High School Musical. And of course, I would go! I mean, who wouldn't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this seems beautiful and amazing! We sang a song in choir about the festival of lights. I also read on this celebration day, they light fireworks, have family gatherings and celebrate Lakshmi, a Hindu Goddess of wealth. The lamps remind me of the scene in Tangled and High School Musical. And of course, I would go! I mean, who wouldn't?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to go to the Festival of Lights! Music and dancing? Count me in! Besides the celebration part, I find the symbolic part (the sand in the lotus shape) really cool. Did you know that as well as being a welcoming sign, a lotus is a sign of purity, and life in general? A lotus flower grows in muddy/murky water. Every evening it closes up and slinks back into the water, and every morning it rises up again. That's where the symbolic meaning comes from: it is rising out of darkness to achieve enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete