Popular Posts
-
So I was looking at posts and Travis A's post caught my eye and I couldn't help myself to write about it. Three years ago a women ...
-
Roaming the History of Rome The legend of how Rome was built is that twin brothers, Romulus and Remus, the sons of Mars...
-
Recently, I was reading Logan F.'s post on the anti-hunting drones in Africa. I feel that it is just about time that something was don...
-
I read Jon Aronin's post about the Kopanang Mine and I realized how dangerous it must be to work down in that mine. Its 2,600 feet belo...
-
Animal poaching is a big problem in Africa and it has been a long hard road to figure out what to do. Many people think they have found the ...
Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Esala Perahera
The Esala Perahera is one of many festivals held in Sri Lanka in August. The origins of this festival date all the way back to the arrival of the "Tooth Relic" Esala Perahera means "the festival of the tooth". It is a Buddhist festival and it usually consists of dances, bright colored costumes and very colorfully decorated elephants. Some of the dances performed include fire-dances, whip-dances and a traditional dance called a Kandyan dance. This festival goes on for around 10-11 days. At the very end of the festival, a Day Perahera is held to close the ceremony. You are not able to visit the Esala Perahera unless your knees are covered with a skirt or pants because of respect for the religion. I would like to go to one of these festivals, would you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment