Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Shab E Barat

         Shab E Barat is the 15th day of the eighth month in some places this a holiday to commemorate older ancestors' death. Other names for Shab E Barat include Lailat al-Baraa, Lailat al-Du'a, and Neem Sha'ban (that one is Persian :D). I think holidays like this are cool for two reasons you can learn a lot about your ancestors, and you can enjoy some awesome food! This festival is really cool in Pakistan because it kind of bring it's own vibe to the table… Literally! One Pakistani dish that I think looks good  is Mazaidar Haleem. That is a soup dish with greens a little bit of meat and limes. What kind of foreign food do you like?

1 comment:

  1. I've never really tried a ton of foreign food. But one thing I totally love would be Baklava which is actually from Asia... Totally unrelated but my mom's birthday is on the day of the Shab E Barat. (How odd.) Anyways, I think that this holiday is sounds pretty interesting because I love learning about my ancestors and my heritage and I bet a lot of others feel the same way. I looked up more on this and found out that another name for this festival is Mid-Sha'ban, but there are a lot of names for this in general. Another thing that people do is pray a lot during this night. This is such a unique and special festival, here is a link with more information http://www.duas.org/shaban.htm

    ReplyDelete