Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Diwali

 In India there is a great festival called Diwali! What is Diwali you might ask? Well it is the festival lights and is celebrated though out all of India. It also is the festival of renewal and new life. To celebrate they light oil lamps called diyas and place them in gardens, front porches, and even on roofs. In more urban area they use smaller candle of neon light instead. Also they wear brand new clothes to show renewal because it is also the festival of renewal. Many people celebrate with food and sweets, and then at night they have a huge explosion of fireworks. Diwali can mean different thing to different people it just depends what part of India you're in. In northern India it celebrates the homecoming of Rama after defeating an enemy. In other parts in it celebrate the goddess of wealth, but everywhere it is the festival of light and renewal. After reading about Diwali i really want to go to India and celebrate because it sounds like a ton of fun, how about you?

2 comments:

  1. I would really like to go and see all the lights because I think that would be cool. During the Festival of Lights, are there light shows or still lights like Christmas lights everywhere? I would also like to go and see what clothes the people wear so I can get a personal feel of the culture. I did some research of my own on Festival of Lights and found that it is a harvest festival in November and October and it is a national festival celebrated by most Indian religions. I also found that on the first day of Diwali, people clean and shop for gold kitchen utensils and on the second, they decorate their houses with lamps and create designs on the floor with colored sand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Brett this looks like a great festival! I would actually really like to see the lights. When they have the festival of lights how do the people react? I would also like to see what they wear on an everyday basis. I did some research of my own on Festival of Lights. What I found was that it is a harvest festival in October and November. It is also a national festival celebrated by almost all Indian religions. Thanks for sharing Brett!!

    ReplyDelete