Popular Posts
-
Well, in the ancient world, there are a couple of civilizations, Chinese, Phoenicians, Israelites, Egyptians, and many others. Have you hear...
-
Yes, it's true. I was looking at Hallie S.'s blog , and decided to look into the subject a little more. Malaria is a problem. CDC(Ce...
-
I found the blog post Manya C. wrote very interesting and I decided to do some more research on the topic " Annie Anopheles .” An...
-
I have always been interested in Greek Gods but they’re not the nicest people. Like the Greek God Hephaestus when he was born, Hera, his mot...
-
I find it really interesting that the Sumerians wrote so much and thought that writing was so important to them. They wrote everything dow...
Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Festival of Color
Have you ever heard of India's festival of color? (A.K.A Holi)It's a day long celebration where you get to splash people with colored water and powder without them getting mad(hence the name festival of color). J.K that's not what it's really about but, you still get to splash people with color. It's really a festival devoted to celebrating the coming of spring, unity, joy and many other things. The festival brings together different classes in unity and all social structure pretty much goes out the window so that everyone can celebrate together. The Holiday is celebrated by lot and lots of countries including the U.S, Pakistan, Bangladesh and really every country that Hindus live in. I wonder what it'd be like to attend one of these festivals.(also if anyone has please tell me about it.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think it would be awesome to participate in the festival of color or festival of love! Unfortunately, the only thing that you can do in Michigan that is closest to Holi is the Color Run in Detroit. My sister got to go...lucky. Since it celebrates the coming of Spring and unity, it should be happening soon in some places such as Las Vegas, Utah, and New York! Also, since the coloring is made of cornstarch, it is safe to by thrown around! (sunglasses recommended) The celebration starts with a Holika bonfire the night before Holi where people sing and dance. Then in the morning, it is a full on barrage of colors. The best time to hunt down your friends and turn them into a walking rainbow or a big brown blob, depending on how you feel at the time. After all of the pandemonium, everyone gets killed up then goes to visit their friends and family.
ReplyDelete