Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Buzzing mosquitoes

I thought James Tanay's last post was really interesting.  James' malaria post really grabbed my attention because we don't have fierce mosquitoes in Michigan but there are in Africa.  I did some research of my own on malaria and found a few things that you similarly explained but even more.  I found that malaria is an air-borne disease caused by not just mosquitoes but any parasite.  In 2010, an estimated 219 million cases of malaria occurred worldwide and 660,000 people died 91 percent of the deaths occurred in Africa.  People are really suffering in Africa and are pretty defenseless to the parasites.  Malaria is a disease that causes high fevers and chills and can lead to death.  You didn't put this in your post but not all mosquitoes can give malaria to you.  The mosquito has to be infected with malaria to transfer it therefore not all mosquitoes can infect you.  Finally, malaria is a deadly disease that is rare in Michigan but many people are suffering in Africa. Did you like my information because I found it very interesting and I hope you did too?

No comments:

Post a Comment