Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sleeping Sickness

  Thank you Annabelle. R for showing me the deadly  sickness  Trypanosoma brucei , hence known as the sleeping sickness. Many people are attacked by this infection all through Africa, even though it is treatable when left alone it is deadly. Currently there is 10,000 new cases found each year in Africa. In tests sleeping sickness is pretty easy to find in the body, it travels in the blood and inhabits the body's tissues. The prevention is pretty easy as well, try to dress in long sleeves and pants that are of light but durable material, you may also want to avoid bushes that fly's may roost in. the sickness may put the carrier in a comma because the is eating away the nerves and muscles. So next time you go to Africa please pack lots of bug repellent!        

1 comment:

  1. I think the sleeping sickness is really scary. I why would I want to go to Africa if means getting bit by a bug that can make me so sick I go into a comma. Not fun. Even with bug spray, I won’t have much protection.I think we've all experienced times when bug spray doesn't work. What’s really weird though is that there are only 36 countries in africa where you can get the disease. So I guess I might go to Africa as long as I never went in one of those 36 countries.

    ReplyDelete